Thursday, November 16, 2006

clueless.

What is a BSTAT?

I have two degrees in economics, which I use but rarely. I sometimes marvel at all the econ I used to know, and how quickly it trickled out of my ears to make room for more important and useful things like this and this.

I spent this morning in a university office with an econ professor, discussing some joint-project possibilities. This econ professor had an office with a view I would have killed for, straight out onto the Pacific. And there was surf. So I was already having trouble paying attention.

Academic-types always make me a little nervous. (This, despite the fact that P is one.) I feel a little like the junior higher hanging with the ninth-graders who smoke behind the cafeteria, who at any moment will say the thing that will reveal just how totally uncool and seventh-grade he really is.

Mostly, I smiled and nodded.

He said things like: "You know, we could find the new [arcane statistical term, possibly the BSTAT or something...]! The BSTAT for humans! Wouldn't that be a riot?"

It appeared he expected me to laugh at this, so I did. Yes, yes, Dr. Professor, quite the riot!

While my mind raced backwards trying to fire the lost synapse in my brain which once knew what the hell a BSTAT is and why finding one for humans would be just too hilarious.

But really, I have no idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home