Thursday, April 12, 2007

putting it off.

So, I signed up for a few graduate courses at this place this semester. Being "back in school" has put me squarely back in this awkward place where I mentally skate around the idea that I have papers to write and readings to do. Mainly by developing a keen interest in all activities unrelated to whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.

Ah, my old nemesis. Procrastination.

"What are you doing, Miwa?"
"Avoiding a paper I'm supposed to write."
"A paper?"
"For this geography class I'm taking."
"Geography?"
"Geography."
"Couldn't make it though a whole year in life without being graded, eh?"
"Erm, yes. Something like that."

Procrastination tends to throw off my schedule, eat into my sleeping time, and generally do some sucking of the joy from my life. I do it anyway. Perhaps the only good thing about recent experience with procrastination, is: Flickr. VERY addicting, internet.

Recent research has put the price of procrastination by Americans at somewhere around $650 billion. I would venture to guess that Flickr can claim a decent chunk of that. On the other hand, maybe we should be looking at procrastination as the reallocation of time/welfare/dollars from WORK and THE MAN, and back to ourselves. For, um, things like flickring. At least, that's what my ranty inner economist tells me. And I have two degrees in econ. That's right. TWO.

So, a little flickrphotowebzen for your day:



To distract dog from eating shoes, fed panda. Panda is understandably freaked!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home